Activity 4: Setting sail
Focus question: what preparations were made for the eight-month sea voyage?
- In groups, students use Preparations for the journey (PDF. 102 KB) to examine a primary source document, a letter regarding provision of the First Fleet. Model the deconstruction of unfamiliar language. For example, highlight significant phrases and transcribe them in more familiar terms. Circle unfamiliar words and use a dictionary to find their meaning. Ask:
What do we know about this source?
What does it tell us about the First Fleet?
What questions could we ask to find out more?
- Using Packing the Provisions (PDF, 112 KB), students examine the list of the livestock and provisions carried on the First Fleet, found online at First Fleet Fellowship.
- Using Ships of the First Fleet (PDF, 111 KB), students explore information about the 11 ships at First Fleet Fellowship
First Fleet ship Charlotte at Portsmouth prior to departure, May 1787
© 2013 Education Services Australia Ltd, except where indicated otherwise.
You may copy, distribute and adapt this material free of charge for non-commercial educational purposes,
provided you retain all copyright notices and acknowledgements.
- Can students use effective strategies to deconstruct unfamiliar language?
- Can students suggest appropriate categories to sort First Fleet provisions?