Activity 7: Strangers come to stay
Focus question: what was the nature of contact between First Fleet settlers and Aboriginal people in the early days of colonisation?
- Students examine the Aboriginal languages map. According to this source, which language group would have observed the landing of the First Fleet?
- Using First Australians 1 (PDF, 115 KB) and First Australians 2 (PDF, 134 KB), students explore the impact of the First Fleet's arrival on the local Aboriginal people.
First Australians 1
Wandjina rock art paintings from Black Fellow Creek, Western Australia. Source: © Mowanjum Artists Spirit of the Wandjina Aboriginal Corporation
© 2013 Education Services Australia Ltd, except where indicated otherwise.
You may copy, distribute and adapt this material free of charge for non-commercial educational purposes,
provided you retain all copyright notices and acknowledgements.
- Can students identify evidence of the success and productivity of Aboriginal peoples in Australia throughout their long history?
- Can students understand and explain the Indigenous perspective on the landing and settlement of the First Fleet?
- Do students demonstrate an awareness of potential bias in illustrations or written accounts?